Saturday, June 5, 2010

2008 - Gran Torino


I actually really liked this movie (sorry, Dan). Of course I love Clint Eastwood. I can definitely see why this movie won awards, but I can also see why some people might not like it. I think because I grew up in a small town with a lot of ignorant rednecks, those types of characters don't bother me so much. I mean they bother me because I think racism is absolutely stupid and pointless, but I'm not shocked that they exist.

I also think that as an old person, I'll probably be a lot like Clint Eastwood's character, Walt, minus the racism. I can totally see myself carrying a gun, being cranky to the neighbors. and glaring at inappropriately dressed teenagers. I wouldn't like my grandkids if I were him either. They were brats.

I LOVED the character Sue, Walt's next door neighbor. She didn't take offense to her cranky old neighbor like the rest of her house, but tried to befriend him instead. She also was feisty. I liked that their friendship felt so genuine.

I cried. Any movie that can make me cry is probably good. I believe I cried several times. The ending was so unexpected, but stunning. I love movies that I don't see the end coming.


Random Thoughts:
-I make that same face when I see 12-year-olds dressed like skanks. Ugh, why would you let your kid wear that to her grandma’s funeral?
-How old is that Catholic priest at the funeral? Like 18? (apparently he’s 27…they say so later)
-I’m totally going to carry a rifle around with me when I’m old.
-I'm so glad he didn't leave that car to his granddaughter.


Verdict?
5/5 stars.I thought this movie would be boring, so I almost didn't watch it. I'm SO glad I did because I really loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment