Saturday, June 5, 2010

1999 - Varsity Blues


Ugh. I hate football, so I have no idea why I picked this movie. I guess I figured it didn't have that much football in it. It does. It's also an MTV movie, which means it was stupid and had a bunch of actors from WB (back when it was still the WB and not the CW) TV shows in it.

Anyways, the whole movie is about a small town in Texas that takes football VERY seriously. Ugh. I hate football and I hate when people take school sports so seriously. And I hate when good sports players get everything handed to them on a silver platter without working for it. That drives me nuts. After school, where does being good at sports really get you?? The majority of people injure themselves or don't make it pro, so they're left with no life skills and the reality that they're no longer going to get everything handed to them. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now and get back to the movie...

To it's credit, I did like this movie's ending. It wasn't really that surprising, but I was really hoping that that bastard of a coach got what was coming to him. What a jerk. And this is the second movie in a row where I've watched Jon Voight play a total jerk. Actually, does that guy EVER play a good guy??

So yeah, I was pretty bored throughout the excessive football game scenes. James van der Beek kinda sucks. He really isn't that great of an actor and definitely can't carry a movie on his own.

Random Thoughts:
-Did they even expand their casting past the WB casting department? We’ve got Dawson from Dawson’s Creek (with a really bad southern accent – he sounds mentally disabled) and the fat guy from Popular.
-And Paul Walker? I didn’t know he was in this. What ever happened to him anyways? He did like 500 movies in the late 90s/early 00s and then just disappeared.
-Jon Voight! Second night in a row!
-I’m kinda glad my high school football team only won about three games the entire time I was in school. It kept them from getting this cocky and annoying.
-Was that steroids? Do you inject steroids into your knee like that? Yuck. (Edit: Apparently it was some kind of numbing stuff so they could keep playing without being in pain)
-Ugh…I hate football. Why did I pick this movie?
-Aw. He’s reading Kurt Vonnegut during the football game. That’s my kind of guy.
-I’m sorry, but all I could think of during the whip-cream-bikini scene was “yeast infection”.

Verdict?
2/5 stars. I wasn't impressed. It's wasn't TERRIBLE, but I would definitely never watch it again. It was mostly just boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment