Saturday, June 5, 2010

1990 - Dances With Wolves


I'm so happy to hit 1990 because now we are getting to movies that I actually remember when they first came out. My first movie I saw in a theater (that I can remember) was Back to the Future III in 1991. The closest movie theater was almost 2 hours away until I was in high school, so I didn't see a lot of movies unless we were on vacation.

I remember when "Dances With Wolves" came out. I was 5-6 years old and I remember they sold the VHS at McDonald's for some reason. You got it for a cheaper price if you bought a value meal or something. Anyways, my aunt and uncle bought it and I watched the first scene and was convinced they were going to chop that guy's leg off so I left the room traumatized and have never went near the movie since.

I am really glad I chose this movie because I loved it. I was pretty skeptical because a movie has to be pretty interesting to keep me entertained for 3 hours. I was not bored ONCE during this film. The pacing was great for such a long movie.

I love Kevin Costner too. I'm not quite sure why (it might have something to do with him being in one of my all time favorite movies, "A Perfect Word", that apparently no one on earth has seen but me). I love that he took this project that everyone was convinced would fail and turned it into an Oscar winner.

Anyways, the plot is fairly simple: A Civil War Army Lieutenant, John Dunbar (Costner) takes a post at a deserted fort. He lives there alone until he makes friends with the neighboring Sioux Indian tribe after he rescues a white woman that they adopted into their tribe when she was a child. Of course the Army eventually finds him and he has to choose which side he is now on.

I can't think of anything that I didn't like about this movie. I actually went out and bought it a few days after I watched it when I saw it on sale at Walmart for $7. And that's a lot coming from me because I generally do not like war movies or westerns.

Random Thoughts:
-Yes, I am still fairly traumatized by the bloody foot/leg opening scene. It's not even THAT graphic, it just seemed so much worse in my mind from when I was a kid.
-Apparently there is a sequel in the works starring Viggo Mortensen called "The Holy Road". It is based off the book sequel to "Dances with Wolves".
-Almost a million feet of film was shot!

Verdict?
5/5 stars. I really loved this movie. I'll definitely watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment