Saturday, June 5, 2010

2002 - The Mothman Prophecies


I kinda sorta watched this before, but I'm pretty sure I never finished it and I think I fell asleep through most of it. Anyways, I didn't remember ANY of it. It was actually kind of boring.

Richard Kein (Gere) finds himself in Point Pleasant, WV two years after his wife dies in a weird car accident. He can't remember how he got there (over 400 miles away from his home). He ends up investigating some strange occurances by the "Mothman" with the help of a local cop.

I wanted to like this movie. I love sci-fi. I love the lore of the Mothman. I did a paper in school on the Mothman in high school. It is based on real events in my home state. But honestly, it kinda sucked. I was bored. I now know how I fell asleep the first time I tried to watch this.

I thought it was stupid that they didn't even very closely follow the real events it is supposedly based on. The real story is exciting enough to make a good movie, but I guess they disagreed and added a bunch of stupid crap like the Mothman talking on the phone to people (?????).

The "real" Mothman actually did warn people about disasters, but only through sightings. He didn't call people on the phone. Like in the movie, there WAS an actual bridge collapse in Point Pleasant in the late 1960s that killed a bunch of people. Some people believe the Mothman sightings were trying to warn them of the impending disaster.

The movie had a few creepy moments. But considering that it's supposed to be a thriller, it fell really flat. I had a hard time caring about any of the characters, the plot dragged on and on and on, and it was actually kinda boring.

Verdict?
2/5 stars. The plot sounded interesting, but unfortunately, the movie wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment