Wednesday, May 5, 2010

1984 - Red Dawn

I like the poster. It's kinda creepy.

I've wanted to watch this movie for a while, I just never got around to it. A group of teenagers run into the woods when the Soviets and Cubans invade the United States and start World War III. Eventually, they take a stand against the foreign soldiers and actually put up a pretty good fight.


This scene was pretty awesome.

There were a few things I didn't really like. I had a really hard time telling the kids apart. Especially when they dressed in their combat gear with hoods. They all looked alike and I had to rewind to see who was saying what.

Also, for some reason my version didn't have subtitles, so I think I missed half the plot during the Spanish/Russian speaking bits. That's what I get for watching it on Youtube. I tried to record it on TV, but it didn't record right, so I had to scramble to find it fast.

See? They all look the same. Even the girls.

I really liked the whole plot of the movie. It was interesting and kept my attention. I can only imagine how terrifying it was when it was released in 1984, right in the middle of the Cold War. The characters (when I could tell them apart) were well written and the actors did a pretty good job. They also had a pretty decent cast including Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, and Jennifer Grey.

I honestly thought he was the dad dropping his kids off at school.

Random Thoughts:
-Seriously, for the first 15 minutes of the movie I thought Patrick Swayze was that kids dad instead of his brother.
-Is this movie supposed to have subtitles with the foreign soldiers are talking? Because I was a little lost during those scenes.
-This was the first movie to ever be released with a PG-13 rating.
-According to the Guiness Book of World Records, this is was the most violent film ever at the time of its release with an average of 2.23 acts of violence per minute.

Verdict?
4/5 stars. I really liked it! It had a few kinks, but all in all, a pretty entertaining film with an interesting plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment