Monday, May 3, 2010

1982 - Christiane F. (Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo)



Okay, I’ll admit that the reason I watched this movie was because David Bowie did the soundtrack. I did not know that there is also a Bowie CONCERT in the movie. I actually became jealous of a heroin addict. Also, the movie was in German and I am currently trying to learn German, so I was happy to recognize a few words and phrases here and there.

Zoo Station - the train station where they prostituted themselves for drug money

This movie is based off of a the real Christiane’s autobiography. Christiane is from Berlin. She and her friends start going to a new nightclub and get into drugs. She also meets her boyfriend, Detlaf, there. By her 14th birthday, she is addicted to heroin. It’s just a downward spiral from there as she and Detlaf sink lower and lower to support their habit. She even sells her David Bowie record collection off! That’s pretty bad (at least in my book).

For some reason, I tend to watch a lot of movies about drug addicts. This is definitely one of the more harrowing ones. The depiction of Christiane and her boyfriend’s heroin withdrawal was one of the most graphic I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to believe that the actress portraying Christiane is only 14 years old as well.

The real Christiane is now 48 year old and is still battling drug addiction. She became a minor celebrity in Germany after the success of her book and this movie. I don’t know that I could watch this movie again, but it will probably stick with me for a very long time. 5 stars.

Heroin withdrawal...I will spare you the details of what all the stains on the bed are.

Random thoughts:

-I would kill for her Bowie album collection. I would give even more to go that concert.

-That has got to be one of the most graphic depictions of a heroin withdrawal I have ever seen.

-She’s selling her David Bowie album collection to get drug money! Addicts really are insane.

Verdict?
5/5 stars! It's not something that I'd want to watch over and over, but it will stick with me for a long time. Very well done movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment